Saturday, June 30, 2018

newfoundland 2018 — Post #1

Well here we are, about a week into the trip. I've had lots of opportunity to post to the blog but not the energy!
 My goal here is to post some highlights, both in words and pictures, and to try to include some tips if you're planning to make the trek to the Rock.

Day 1 was a really long drive, we made it all the way from Minden to Edmunston NB. About 1200 km. We hooked around Montreal to avoid the traffic: good idea. Follow the signs to "Sorel-Tracy" then stay on the '20'. If you see a car ram into the back of another one in the lane beside you, don't wait around... you can lose a lot of hours that way!

A loon in a nesting box is a mandatory stop. But we didn't stop for any other photos that day. 

Day 2 we drove from Edmunston to Peggy's Cove. We had to get there by 4 because Ryal's Wholesale's last lobster cook was at 4. I had the best lobster EVER there last year.

There was a wind farm behind the Tourist Information site on the New Brunswick/Nova Scotia border. We stopped for a few shots. 

Good spot for it: the winds were wicked! 

We arrived at Peggy's Cove, just in time. Pulled into Ryal's parking lot: they weren't allowed to cook lobster any more! (the government wanted them to put in bathrooms, proper flooring, extra ventilation, thousands of dollars they weren't prepared to invest). So... we were disappointed. Still, we went to a restaurant and had a $35 lobster dinner. Not as good.

The obligatory Lighthouse picture. 

This girl was posing for her friends. When I asked her to do it again, she of course froze like a deer in the headlights when I pointed the camera at her. I'm not much of a posed "people" photographer!

I shot this in the village. Everything seems too set up for the tourists there, so I wasn't inspired.

Next day was a driving day, to get to North Sydney for the ferry. We stopped in Halifax to have lunch with Nadia, Amin's daughter who took time out from studying for her bar exams for a short visit. Then off to Cape Breton and the ferry. Again a minor food disappointment, when we discovered that the restaurant I liked last year was shuttered up. 

If you're taking the ferry to Port aux Basques, be sure to spend the extra $20 for reserved seating. Not the most comfortable in the world (sort of like an airline seat) but it was separated from the regular decks and quieter. Also here's a hint: when you come in, tell them you don't want to park on the lower deck (smile nicely...). We were actually one of the last off the boat and manoeuvring to park was a challenge!. 

We arrived in the fog and rain (what else is new!) and our first stop for pictures was about 30 km up the road. Awesome spot!



From there we drove up to Gros Morne, but we just stayed on the south side, where the tablelands are and headed for Trout River. We'll do the north portion on the way home.


Still snow on some of the slopes! 

There really is a Trout River in Trout River! 

We stayed the next couple of nights in Coffee Cove... wait for it...

— 30 —

No comments:

Post a Comment