Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Love it or hate it?

I pulled over on the roadside today because I was taken with this rockwall where the cold nighttime temperatures had frozen the water dripping off the wall. The ice glistened in on-and-off hazy sunlight.



 
I turned around and saw this little stream coming down with some great frozen water in front of it. I went home and got some neutral density filters to re-shoot it. A wider shot didn't work -- too much brush and rock.


And then I looked around and saw this:


I shot 5-shot brackets and merged them to HDR in Photomatix. I did some more work in CS5, including a touch of Topaz Adjust. Initially I loved the shots and now I'm not so sure. I think they're TOO sharp and have too much detail.

What's the consensus? Would you have shot these differently? Or handled them a different way in Post?

By the way, on the last shot I used a non-destructive dodging/burning technique that I picked up somewhere recently, damned if I can remember where. But I love the technique and wrote it up in my tech blog. I searched my archives and can't find it. I'd like to attribute it but can't recall the source.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Glenn

    I love them! They're beautiful.

    You do have sort of a point when you they have too much detail, but I think, considering the subject, that the amount of detail is ok. It's not overcooked in my opinion.

    Cheers from Denmark,
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Thomas. I'm waiting for my variable ND filter -- it goes up to 10 stops so when I'm shooting moving water, I'll be better able to control Depth of Field instead of just maxxing it out.

    ReplyDelete