Saturday, August 29, 2009

Texting while Driving

No pictures today.

I just watched this graphic video – it is graphic – and I think you should too.

Texting while Driving Video -- click to watch.

I have been guilty of responding to emails while driving. I will never do that again.

I also won’t READ emails on my Blackberry while driving. I think it’s equally distracting.

A promise I will not make, because I don’t think I can keep it, is not to use the cellphone while driving either. But I’m definitely going to cut back. The issue is not hands-free, the issue is where your mind is. How many of us can admit to missing that exit, or not noticing things because you’re in the middle of a phone conversation?

I have a two hour drive from Minden to Toronto. I usually leave myself, oh, two hours and five minutes to get to that appointment. So if the phone rings, I don’t want to take the time to pull over, I’m on a deadline. I’m going to change that. I’m going to leave more time, or I’m just going to be late for that meeting. I’m going to try to pull off the road if I need to take that call. At the very least, I’ll take the call and tell the caller that either I’ll call back or to wait while I pull over to talk to them.

I watched some followup videos but in my heart, I didn’t need anyone to tell me how unwise it is to use the cellphone or Blackberry while driving. Please follow suit and spread the word to anyone you care about.

Thank you, Matt (Zever) for posting this link in the VROC forum.

Glenn.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:47 pm

    This video is heart stoping! I have sent it to all my family members and friends. I think it depicts the reality of one of the major causes of accidents on our roads today which statistic has not fully sunk in with cell phone users as yet bent on texting whilst driving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never texted in my life. Don't plan to start anytime soon.

    Remember talking on the phone, applying make-up and staring at the pretty girl on the side of the road can lead to the same tragedy.

    Stay focused and be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't text while I am driving
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glenn --- I saw this video yesterday through another link; it's a very graphic reminder and hopefully, it will work to decrease this activity by people while driving.

    -billy

    ReplyDelete